5 Jan 2012

First Meal

I've been exclusively breastfeeding Eli since he was born. An achievement on my part for a number of reasons which I want to elaborate on:
  • Breastfeeding, at first is not easy. Midwifes and pro breastfeeders will give you the impression that you just flop out your boobs, obtain a proper latch on position and away you go - it's not that simple. No one told you about the pain (at the start), the inconvenience (to the mother) and how more saggy they become. Plus the pressure to breastfeed and to do it for as long as possible. 
  • Pressure from family to top up on formula. At the beginning Ian told me he wasn't bonding with Eli, that he felt left out as he wasn't doing anything so despite my fear that he might develop nipple confusion I decided to express milk as well. I had a manual pump and was pumping out 80mls of milk from both breast even after 40 minutes of pumping. I was feeding then expressing between feeds. It was the most tedious and frustrating process. To top that off I was being judged by the amount of milk I had produced. My mother-in-law (who was a retired midwife) would compare how much milk they gave newborns versus how Eli was drinking and my mother threatened to buy formula as she worried Eli wasn't getting enough. It was at time stressful as I felt like I wasn't being supported.   
  • I experienced a drop in my milk supply at least twice. Once when I got on the mini pill and another when I got leg-less (literally) on my 30th birthday. I nursed exclusively during those times and got my supply up again. 
I knew I wanted to start him on rice cereal before I went back to work. I wanted to be the one to feed him his first meal. I asked friends on their recommendation on which rice cereal they used on their baby. They came back with comments on reactions, nutrients, organic versus non organic, vitamin enriched options and after much research I decided to make my own. I know I will be making his baby food, so why not rice cereal. 

My only concern is whether he is getting enough nutrients and vitamins from the food I make over the food I can purchase. So I guess the question is, is a controlled calorie meal like Lite'n'Easy better for you than a home cooked meal equivalent with all fresh ingredients? I'd like to think the later option is best so I'm giving him what I feel is best - a fresh home made meal, made by mama.  

So here is my recipe for home made rice cereal.
1. Grind 1/4 cup of wholegrain brown rice until powder consistency. Afterwards I suggest sifting powder twice to ensure there are no hard solids.

2. Bring 1 cup of water to boil then stir in the powdered rice. Mixing continuously until mixture becomes a portage like texture.

3. I suggest pouring the mixture into the sifter again to remove any clumps and lumps.

4. Serve to baby after 5 minutes or cereal has cooled down.

Yum!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons

Share this post with friends